Branch 104 minutes
1900: PNP John Johnson called the meeting to order with proper ceremony and opening of the Bible. The following shipmates were present: Shipmates Barrett, Batnick, Bettencourt, Faubion, Felthouse, Johnson, Jones, LaChapelle, Peters, Pollard, Ramirez, Thompson, Tompkins, Shriver, Wallace, and Wilson.
1902: The minutes of the previous meeting were submitted and approved.
1905: Committee Reports were called for:
Legislative – (1) Update on Pierce County Veterans Advisory Council by S/M LaChapelle which meets 2nd Tuesday each month. In addition to the advisory council, there is now an Advisory Board appointed by the Pierce County Executive. (2) Forever GI Bill has been passed and signed.
Youth Activities – S/M Pollard, Spanaway Lakes High School NJROTC, and S/M Faubion participated in a pre-SEAFAIR cruise onboard the USS MICHAEL MURPHY (DDG-112). Sailing from Everett to Seattle with members of NJROTC unit on 01 AUG.
Membership – 117 members in good standing. One member transfer from Branch 18 reported last month still pending.
Americanism/Patriotism - S/M Barrett, Chairman, letter has been drafted to be sent to all JROTC units in the area.
Public Relations – S/M Ramirez advised that website is updated. Facebook, FRA Branch 104. Website : www.fra104puyallup.com
Finance and Audit – Book audited. Budget presented for 2017-18 and approved.
Health and Welfare - Following individuals are on the binnacle list. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers. If you know of others, please let us know. John Peterson, Nahum Doskow, Roland Santos, Jim Howard, Al Webb and Jorge Ramirez.
1923: Communications –
(1) Membership newsletters passed for perusal.
(2) Letter from National Executive Director concerning resolutions us for consideration at the National Convention was received and requested that contents be distributed to Branch for consideration and input. One resolution was to expand membership to the FRA to all branches of the service. Branch opposition to this proposal has been passed to our representative attending the National Convention.
(3) S/M Pres Johnson received a letter from Auburn advising that FRA has been designated as the Honor Group at the 52nd Auburn Veterans Day Parade. A deserving member of our Branch will be the Grand Marshal. S/M Ramirez was voted on at the Executive Board meeting to be our representative.
Parade will be held on Saturday, NOV 11. Spanaway Lake NJROTC has agreed to march with us and carry the parade banner and flags.
Word and invitation will also be passed to other FRA Branches in the area to see if they would like to attend.
As usual, we will meet at Andys Diner in Auburn at 0800 for breakfast.
1935 Treasurer Report – Approved. See attached.
1938: Unfinished Business –
- Regional Convention is 10 days away. Get meal requests in ASAP. Hospitality room at the Emerald Queen will open on Thursday. Check with S/M Jones about assisting.
- Farmers Market booth on Saturday AUG 19th. Come on out.
- Washington State Fair. 104 is scheduled for booth setup on SEP 14, 17, & 18. Sign up sheet passed out. Sign up.
- Quilt raffle, ticket call. Get them and sell them.
- Branch picnic will be held on Saturday, SEP 16th at Veterans Park in Puyallup. This will be a combined American Legion and Fleet Reserve function. Grill fires off at 1200. Burgers, Hot Dogs, Buns, condiments provided. Bring a side dish and enjoy the fellowship.
1952: New Business: - NTR.
1953: Good of the Order – S/M Dean Miller, Past Regional President Northwest, passed away this last week. S/M Miller was a long time member of the Fleet Reserve and Branch 029 in Bremerton. Most recently served on the Regional Finance committee. Fair winds and following seas.
1957: Meeting was adjourned with proper ceremony and the closing of the Bible.
Mt Rainier Branch 104, Secretary